Latest Blog Posts

We're members of the

We've ridden there:

Wednesday, 10 November 2010 13:15

The day I was a hero (in my own eyes)

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

This is a story of an adventure we had in Yellowstone National Park on memorial day weekend in 2006.

Saturday morning we had stopped at Old Faithful to watch it go off. My Mom and Penny decided they wanted to walk around the geyser basin and they don’t allow dogs on the path so I told them I would stay and hang on to Jelly Bean (our Boston Terrorist). Well, everyone else decided to stay as well. So we wandered back over to the gift store area.

After about an hour or so, my bro Chris decided we should get our lunch stuff out and eat so we didn’t have to stop later. We noticed a picnic table over by the road that was being cleaned up by the previous tenants and went over and claimed it. Chris went and got his truck and dropped off the supplies and then went and parked. We got all set up and Chris started cooking the sausages.

ardennes_bison3About this time we noticed a huge male bison come walking out of the trees across the road with branches stuck to his horns. People were running up to get as close as they dared so they could get pictures with him. He finally got annoyed enough that we charged a couple who dropped their bags and ran for their lives. We were getting quite a kick out of the show until we realized he was now headed in our direction.

When he got to the other side of the road and started crossing right at us we decided that we had better get up and get the table between us. When he reached our side of the road, I realized that Jelly Bean was still tied to the side of the table closest to him. So, he was still about 10 feet away and I ran around the table to get JB. She was just staring up at him with those big bug eyes. I fumbled with her leash and finally got her unhooked. By this time the bison was no more then 5 feet from me. Maybe even 3. I guess he didn’t sense any aggression in my actions or something because he just kindJelly Bean of looked at me and went on.

As soon as I had Jelly in my arms and was headed back around the table she started barking wildly… I told her “SHUT UP”… I was a momentary hero with my family for risking my life to save Jelly Bean. The bison continued on and broke up several other picnics on his way to his destination. In fact, the people that were at the table next to us were about 200 yards away standing there looking at the show… Basically, if the bison had felt like it he could have gotten me good… and then there was the jaunt down to Grand Teton NP after that…

Read 688 times
Layne Cope

I am a geek. A Windows geek to be exact. I do all things computer. I do like outdoor activities; camping, fishing, riding my hawg, etc. but I always gravitate back to the computer. In fact, between work, the biz and other stuff, if I am not on the 'puter for 14 - 16 hours a day, I feel deprived!

More in this category: Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs! »